The Reclaim Social Care Conference in Birmingham on Saturday 17 November, called by our friends from Health Campaigns Together is an essential event in response to the ongoing crisis in social care.
RECLAIM SOCIAL CARE CONFERENCE
11:00am – 4.30pm – Saturday 17 November
Carrs Lane Conference Centre
Birmingham, B4 7SX
This Conference is a great opportunity to take forward our thinking and campaigning around social care following the commitment made at the KONP AGM in June.
Members from KONP, HCT, the Socialist Health Association, National Pensioners Convention and Green Party have come together under HCT’s banner to organise what we hope will be an exciting and challenging day. The morning will be kicked off by John Lister and a speaker from the Labour Party then there will be a range of contributions from campaign groups and trade unions fighting for better care, dignity, the ethical care charter, proper wages, conditions and training for care staff, support for carers etc.
The afternoon will focus on what we can and should do, with inspiration from Peter Beresford, Emeritus Professor of Social Policy at Brunel University, Simon Duffy, Founder & Director of the Centre for Welfare Reform and Dave Watson, Unison Head of Policy and Public Affairs in Scotland.
10.15 Registration and Refreshments
11.00-12.00 OPENING SESSION : SOCIAL CARE OR SOCIAL NEGLECT?
- JOHN LISTER (Editor of Health Campaigns Together, and co-chair of Keep Our NHS Public, author, and journalist)
- ELEANOR SMITH (MP for Wolverhampton South West, who is leading on the NHS Reinstatement Bill in Parliament, nurse, previous UNISON National President)
and time for DISCUSSION
12.00-1.00 GREEN SHOOTS OF RESISTANCE
- JUDY DOWNEY Chair /CEO Relatives and Residents Association
- CONOR MCGURRAN North West UNISON Dignity in Care Campaign
- BOB WILLIAMS-FINDLAY “Being the Boss” / Reclaim our Futures, founder member of Birmingham Disability Rights Group
- JAN SHORTT General Secretary of National Pensioners Convention
- GILL OGILVIE GMB regional organiser (previously DWP); has led campaigns to save children’s services, Labour PPC for Walsall North
- PROF PETER BERESFORD Citizen Education, Essex Univ, Emeritus Prof. of Social Policy, Brunel, author of ‘All our Welfare: Towards Participatory Social Policy’
- DAVE WATSON Head of Policy and Public affairs, UNISON Scotland (by video )
- SIMON DUFFY Founder & Director of the Centre for Welfare Reform and member of the Socialist Health Association
- How can we start bringing services back into public control?
- How can we win the argument for services to be free at the point of use?
- How can we get users’ voices to the heart of service design and delivery?
- How can we get carers’ voices to the heart of service design and delivery?
Click here to download leaflet
Please bring your experience, ideas and enthusiasm to Birmingham on 17th November and post the flier as widely as possible. If you can raise any financial contributions from your trade union branch or other organisation to help cover the cost of the Conference that would be brilliant.
Donations earmarked for the Conference can be made on line to HCT’s Coop Bank account:
Sort Code 08-92-99, Account Number 65797921 or by cheque to,
Health Campaigns Together, c/o 102 Corve Street, Ludlow SY8 1EB .
Leave a Reply