The deeply flawed Health and Care Bill has now been agreed by Parliament.
Keep Our NHS Public strongly opposed the Bill, which – along with the guidance and regulations that come with it – signpost further fragmentation of the NHS, greater privatisation and damage to services and the workforce.
The Bill does not address any of the problems facing the NHS or social care and will distract from efforts to rebuild the NHS while it is still dealing with the Covid pandemic.
For more information about the Act and what it will mean see:
INTEGRATED CARE SYSTEMS
The Act also provides the legal framework required to fragment the NHS in England into 42 Integrated Care Systems (ICSs), which pose a threat not least by allowing the private sector an even bigger role than it has currently, a role we believe is far too much already.
More details on ICSs
Further information on actions to take
➤ NEW ARTICLES
New Payment Scheme will have profound impact
Few patients, NHS staff or health campaigners have heard of the new Payment Scheme introduced by the Health and Care Act 2022. As the Bill went through Parliament, only Margaret Greenwood MP and Lord Hendy spoke out against the Scheme. But it will have a profound impact on the finance available in each Integrated Care System (ICS), and therefore on staffing and patient care.
Read/download full article…
Health and Care Bill Campaign materials developed to fight the Bill contain highly relevant information and so may still be of interest.
- Keep Our NHS Public on the new Health and Care Bill (7.7.21)
- KONP’s evidence on the Bill to the Public Bill Committee consultation
- The Health and Care Bill: what it means for pay, terms and conditions for staff
- KONP evidence to the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, November 2021
- The Health and Care Bill and private companies’ access to patients’ data
- Tentacles wrapped around the NHS
- Useful presentations/speeches and the Health Bill teach-in
- The Health Bill, privatisation and workforce issues
Letters and briefing notes
- KONP briefing on the Bill for members of House of Lords – and
- Template for covering letter for Lords briefing (please personalise)
- Letter from KONP President to members of Lords
- KONP briefing on the Bill for Local Authority Councillors
- Template for covering letter Councillors’ briefing (please personalise)
- KONP briefing for MPs. To find your MP, click here
- Greater Manchester briefing pack for Councillors
- Greater Manchester letter to KONP members about issues to raise with councillors
- Greater Manchester: Issues to raise with councillors
- A4 Oppose the Health and Care Bill (October 2021) black + white
- A5 leaflet about the Bill for staff (August 2021)
- A5 Leaflet about the Bill for patients (August 2021)
- Bills before Parliament: The Health and Care Bill 2021-22
- Explanatory Notes to Health and Care Bill 2021-22
- House of Commons Library Briefing Paper
Sign the petition, protect the NHS
Keep Our NHS Public member and NHS GP Louise Irvine has launched a petition to scrap the NHS Health and Care Bill to protect the NHS.
Head over to Change.org to find out why it is so important this Bill is stopped as soon as possible.
Sign up to our newsletter
News about campaigns to fight privatisation of our NHS, straight to your inbox.